Pre-boiled the water to remove any chlorine, and test the height of the new burner placement.
- 3.5 lbs 2-row
- 2.5 lbs Munich Malt (20SRM)
- 1oz German Hallertau AA:4.1% BA:4.9% @ 60 minutes 24.4 IBUs
Mashed 2.25 gallons 60 minutes at 155F
There looked to have been a lot of barley particles getting through this mesh bag.
Sparged with 0.75qts at 170F
- 1.060 first runnings
- 1.035 second runnings
- 1.051 pre-boil gravity
- 1.074 post-boil gravity
- 1.094 post-honey gravity
Second runnings were deep orange. Very nice. Brewer's assistant taking her break.
Dropped the temperature to 140F and then added the honey. Slowly added it until I hit the gravity of 1.094. My plan was 1.100 or until I used about half of what I had left. I wanted to save enough for a follow-up batch with a different yeast.
Without the honey, which I am estimating at 60SRM, the beer is only 11.2. The honey gives it that nice dark color.
I wanted WLP545, and inexplicably picked up WLP099. On the bright side this is getting me thinking what I would want to do with this braggot brewed with wlp099, since I don't have a choice. :) Right now it's looking like I am going to let it sit on the yeast for a couple months, and then move it into another container for a 3-4 month bulk-age. And then give it some oak right before bottling.
Now it's just hoping that it starts fermenting. I had planned on buying a smack pack, but the LHBS didn't have anything in the style I needed. So I had no starter, but since I only made a 2.5 gallon batch, it's like pitching two vials. Not ideal, but I was able to aerate with the oxygen stone for 2 minutes. If it hasn't started by morning I'll re-oxygenate.